There have been many noteworthy developments in the restaurant space recently. Some of these will likely have a material impact on the companies in the sector and the markets they serve.
Recent News and Analysis
- SanDisk Corp. - First-Quarter Results Please Investors; Shares Up
- Hi-Tech Pharmacal - Acquisition By Akorn Is Complete; Final Report
- RadioShack Corp. - Shares Plunge On Disagreement Over Store Closures
- Barnes & Noble - Stock Slides Following News That Founder Is Reducing Stake
- Google, Inc. - Reports Decent First-Quarter Results, But Investors Were Looking For More; Shares Slip
- Du Pont - Reports Solid First-Quarter Results; Shares Off Slightly Nonetheless
- Int'l Business Mach. - Reports Mixed First-Quarter Results; Shares Fall
- Gen'l Electric - In-Line First-Quarter Results Push Stock Higher
This article touches on the importance of having an understanding of balance sheet considerations when investing, particularly during tougher economic times. We describe Value Line’s Financial Strength ratings system, and list the main factors that determine individual categories. We also note some of the different capital structures among industries.
Companies in the Paper & Forest Products Industry primarily operate in the paper, lumber/building supply, and timberland markets. Investments in production machinery, harvesting equipment, land, and distribution make the industry capital-intensive. The sector, having a long history, is mature, but company operating results are dependent on the macroeconomic cycle.