The drug industry has been experiencing intense activity on the merger front over the past year. The two deals that have grabbed the most headlines, due to their sheer size, have been Pfizer’s (PFE) acquisition of Wyeth (WYE), valued at $68 billion, and Merck’s (MRK) purchase of Schering-Plough (SGP), worth $41 billion. Meanwhile, a host of smaller mergers, including Teva Pharmaceutical’s (TEVA) $7.5 billion buyout of Barr Pharmaceuticals (BRL), and licensing agreements, such as Valeant Pharmaceuticals’ (VRX) pact with GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), have been completed or are in the works.
There have been many noteworthy developments in the restaurant space recently. Some of these will likely have a material impact on the companies in the sector and the markets they serve.
Recent News and Analysis
- Ingram Micro 'A' - Stock Slides On Disappointing First-Quarter Report
- Zimmer Holdings - Acquisition Of Biomet Overshadows Lackluster First-Quarter Results; Shares Spike
- Allergan, Inc./Valeant Pharm. Int'l - Acquisition Talk Has Both Stocks On The Rise
- 3M Company - Shares Trade Lower Despite Decent First-Quarter Report
- Caterpillar Inc. - Stock Trades Higher On Decent First-Quarter Report
- Verizon Communic. - Stock Down Slightly Despite Solid First-Quarter Results
- Fusion-io, Inc. - Reports Weaker-Than-Expected March-Period Numbers; Stock Declines
- Apple Inc. - Shares Up Nicely On Strong March-Period Report
This article touches on the importance of having an understanding of balance sheet considerations when investing, particularly during tougher economic times. We describe Value Line’s Financial Strength ratings system, and list the main factors that determine individual categories. We also note some of the different capital structures among industries.
Companies in the Funeral Services Industry are often viewed in an unpleasant light, but the products and services they provide are necessary. The morbid nature of the business does not mean that individuals can't profit from investments here.